A Shorten Labor Government will provide $40 million over four years to emergency relief organisations across the country, including $173,000 for organisations in Maranoa.
This election is a choice between Labor’s plan for stronger community services, and bigger tax loopholes for the top end of town under the Liberals.
We need real change – because more of the same isn’t good enough.
The Morrison Government is cutting the funding for many emergency relief services at the end of the year.
Labor will reverse the Liberals’ cuts to emergency relief organisations and provide a much-needed funding boost to the sector.
In Maranoa, a Shorten Labor Government will provide additional funding for organisations over the next four years, including:
- $16,000 for CARE Goondiwindi Association.
- $15,000 for Chinchilla Family Support Centre Incorporated.
- $15,000 for Community Development Services.
- $16,000 for Goondir Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Corporation for Health Services.
- $59,000 for Murilla Community Centre Incorporated.
- $52,000 for South Burnett C.T.C.
These services provide support to vulnerable people who have nowhere else to turn by providing food hampers, funding for fuel to attend specialist medical appointments and other financial assistance.
The charities and not-for-profits that do this work are increasingly stretched and need more resources.
A Shorten Labor Government will also support Australians in financial hardship by:
- Doubling the number of financial counsellors across the country.
- Expanding low-cost alternatives to pay day loans for low-income Australians, providing safe and fair credit options when things get tough.
- Reversing the Morrison Government’s $5.5 million cut to emergency relief organisations across the country and providing a much-needed top up to the emergency relief sector.
Many vulnerable Australians are falling through the cracks. Labor will make sure our charities and not-for-profit s have the resources they need to support our fellow Australians.
End the chaos. Vote for change. Vote for Labor.
LABOR CANDIDATE FOR MARANOA LINDA LITTLE SAID:
“I have worked closely with South Burnett CTC for the past five years and know how important their work is to the local community. The members and staff are very committed, hardworking and caring. I know that these funds will make a difference to the lives of many.”
“Labor is committed to families and communities and giving everyone in Maranoa a fair go.”
MEDIA CONTACT: JOEL RICHTERS 0408 277 060